Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dependence and Love

As school is coming to an end, Kindergarten school that is...
I cannot believe that I've almost completed my 1st year of teaching 

*Wedding season is underway-Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Bynum* 

I was talking with my parents last week and they asked 
"If you could sum up in one word what you've learned this year, what would it be?" 
I tell you what, they ask GOOD questions 

They had a word in mind already but guess what, it was different than mine
2 perspectives are always good and reflection is uber important 
So what are they...
I said I have learned dependence; dependence on the Lord and not being so self-reliant 
They said I have learned flexibility-this I have learned in a serious way as well (coming up next...) 

Dependence
~ More often than not I depend on myself for decisions, my physical and emotional state, my strength and joy. Funny thing is, it never works when I depend on measly me! 
I absolutely would not have made it through this year without my sweet Savior to depend on, to give me strength, perseverance, and joy! I have had wonderful friends, family and accountability to walk through this journey with me and help me learn what it looks like to seek the heart of the Lord, to dance under his umbrella of grace, to have a praying and teachable heart! 
~ I am so thankful for this year I have had at East Point Academy. The precious children who have taught me much more than I could every teach them, the wonderful co-workers I've had, the trials and challenges, the fun and laughter!  
My dear friend and accountability partner Lucy and I have been reading the book called "A Praying Life" by Paul E. Miller (fabulous book) and it is so packed with rich truths! Everyone has their own "desert," big or small, at different times of life: this is a quote that I really love: 
    " God takes everyone he LOVES through a desert. It is His cure for our wandering hearts, restlessly searching for a new eden...The best gift of the desert is God's presence...The protective love of the Shepherd give me courage to face the interior journey." 

~Jesus LOVES me--the Lord's love doesn't always mean roses, smiles, happiness and acceptance. No, it means going to whatever means necessary for you to rely and DEPEND on him! The Lord's love is displayed in so many ways throughout scripture, because the Lord LOVED Job, he took everything from him; because the Lord loved David through his trials, because the Lord loved Jonah, he kept him in a whale for 3 days...and so many more stories throughout scripture
I am so thankful for the ups and the downs, the struggles and temptations, the joys and mountain tops because in the midst of ALL that has gone on this year, and it has been a WHOLE lot...
I can say with sure confidence and a heart learning dependence its because
HE loves me enough...

Psalm 36:7 "How precious is your steadfast love, O God..."

2 comments: