Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week One

     My first time in which the Lord is saying, "Kendall are you going to surrender this to me or do it on your own", was week one of student teaching! I was just kind of in a funk the first few days and wondering, wow can I really do this EVERYDAY for four months! I am in a Kindergarten class at Blue Ridge Elementary with 25 children, who are just so stinkin' cute! My teacher is a phenomenal teacher and there is SO much I can learn from her. We could not be more different but as the week wore on, I have discovered that will be a great thing for me. Like I said, I am not one to go into something with not much structure and organization and I nearly had a panic attack when I saw this classroom, so care-free, easy going, and FUN! I could not imagine me teaching, which I will slowly begin next week, and figuring out how I, with such a type A personality, was going to fit in the mix of things. I could just hear the still small whisper in my head saying "let go" of the idea that everything needs to be so structured and go MY WAY. In case you did not know, structure should not be in the vocabulary for a kindergarten classroom. Therefore, as I learn to surrender my life to my sweet savior, I believe that my cooperating teacher and kindergarten class are going to play a big part in that process.

   What I found on Tuesday, day one, was that my heart was literally broken for these precious children who, a lot of them, literally have nothing. I just came home and cried to Mom, who for those of you that do not know, is the most AMAZING woman on this planet, and she was so encouraging, as she always is! She said something that really stuck with me! It was along the lines of, this classroom, these children, these teacher, and this school are my ministry right now. In an email she said "God has you there for HIS purpose...He will use you greatly!" Goodness, the Lord has spoken right to me through my wonderful mom to continually encourage me to surrender. So that is my prayer that I will surrender and be used for the Lord's purposes and will rather than my own.

   Now, a little about my class-I will post pictures soon, when I remember to take my camera to school :) There are 25 adorable children, 1 teacher, 1 assistant teacher, and then me! The past four days, have been slightly trying in regards to this experience but every day got a little better and baby steps are being made! My cooperating teacher has two young boys of her own and they are adorable! She is busy but her passion and zeal for children and teaching is so evident. My assistant teacher has four children, is very sweet-spirited and is very comfortable to be around. It has been somewhat difficult for me to just really be myself and to get comfortable with everyone! What I did find though is that loving every single one of those children has come pretty naturally! They are all so sweet, say very funny things, and are unique in their personalities and stories. So as this semester goes on, as I continue to learn about teaching, and these precious children it is my hope and prayer that I will be a vessel for the Lord, completely surrendering to him, and that I love those children with all that I am!

  On a side note...five year olds say really funny and off the wall things and I hope to not forget them, so it is also my hope to post funny stories and sweet memories! :)

1 comment:

  1. So, so excited about your blog! Only two posts and I am already hooked. . .cannot wait to hear more about your semester! We all miss you so much. . .especially Kate.

    ReplyDelete