Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Our go-to source.

Where do you go first in time of need?
Do you call your friend, your mom, husband, boyfriend, etc?
Do you try to make sense of what is happening?
Seek to understand?
Take action?

My first instinct is of course to understand what is going on and figure out how I can take control of the situation.
We want to have that sense of control...
We want to be able to "do it on our own"
What should our attitude be?
Why do we try to do what WE can do before going to the Lord?
Why is he not our very first go to source of strength, comfort, wisdom, and advice?

This was the main idea of the sermon at Shandon Baptist on Sunday.
In this phase of life I am in right now with the challenges it has presented me, this was EXACTLY what I needed, thank you Jesus, but so convicting at the same time.

I can't tell you how many times I've cried
how many times I have just about lost it
how many times I have just been beyond flustered
how many times I have wished I wasn't a grown-up
AND
who did I go to first
my mom!

Don't get my wrong
my mom has a heart for the Lord, is the best example and role model I could have
is a woman of wisdom and discernment
gives truthful, real, and loving advice

I am so beyond thankful for her but she is not the one that can give me strength in my weakness
She can't "fix" my problems for me
She can't impress upon me what I should do and
She can't give me peace that passes understanding

I, like so many of us, need to make our FIRST go to source the Lord
Our first instinct ALL the time should be prayer
and then seek those loving people that the Lord has placed in your life for understanding, action and wisdom!

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."   

No comments:

Post a Comment