Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sisterhood.


As I look back on my time at Clemson and all the things that have shaped me into who I am today, my sorority, ZTA, has been a big part of that! Sororities have a HUGE stereotype, which is understandable and a lot of the rumors and stereotypes are true, however, what people do not see are the ins and outs of who each girl really is and what she brings to the group, how they enhance our sisterhood, and how much love there is for this group. Being in a sorority has been a struggle in more ways than one but it has also been such a blessing and I have been able to grow through this experience. It has taught me to persevere when I feel like I am not being heard, taught me to love when people seem unlovable, it has taught me to be humble and consider others better than myself, and it has taught me what Jesus looks like in a dark place! By no means have I conquered any of these things but I am learning and growing!

There are things people do that I do not agree with, we all make mistakes, and no matter what that reflects on the group you are involved in, especially when it involves greek life. My parents have always said that reputation is so important, which it is, and that I am not only representing myself but I am representing our family. That is the same with ZTA, we are bonded to one another in sisterhood and we represent the group as a whole and as one another. Sororities can be dramatic, overwhelming,so ridiculous sometimes, and often times girls place themselves in a "class" based on their sorority. If you look at Clemson population, I can guarantee that the most broken girls, including me are part of my 'family' in ZTA! However, how often do I find myself saying, "can you believe she did that?" "did you hear what happened with this," etc, etc. An ongoing gossip train that is a deadly trap.

Something was recently brought to my attention in which a member of ZTA made a mistake and is paying the price for that mistake. Yes, she may be at fault, however, she should not be judged and/or ridiculed, by the girls who are supposed to have her back! In the bible, we see that Jesus was always surrounded by the poor, the lame, the sick and diseased, those who were considered "below" the middle class, because he did not care about their status or WHAT THEY HAD DONE! He wanted to extend his love and show that His grace was and is ENOUGH! Doesn't Jesus do the same thing for me when I fall and mess up, he picks me right back up, brushes me off, and says keep going, there is NOTHING you can do that will make me stop loving you! As I relish in this last semester student teaching and being in a sorority, I am finding myself very sad to leave this group! And through this last semester, it will be my goal to be bold in loving these girls unconditionally and being bold in showing each of them Jesus through my lifestyle and enhance this sisterhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment